Family law

We specialise in divorce and separation. In many cases, we have urgent appointments and fixed fees. We do not offer legal aid.


Making a will is the only way to ensure your wishes are carried out We provide professional will writing services and offer fixed price options.

Children / Financial

We help families achieve the most appropriate solution to maintain the best interests of their children and finances.

Talaq / Khula

We specialise in khula (female) and male (talaq) initiated Islamic divorce. Trusted Sharia council. Start the process for your sharia-compliant divorce.


Each divorce will be different. In England and Wales, the divorce process starts by filing a divorce petition with the court and ends with a Decree Absolute. Usually, you will not need to attend court. You will visit our office to share the details of your situation. We will then draft and file the divorce petition with the court. 

Approximately four to six months. This can be longer if children or financial matters need to be resolved. 

Each case is different. We offer fixed hour or fixed fee options. 

Fixed Fee: £700 (+VAT) – if you are the person filing for the divorce. This option is suitable if (i) both parties agree to the divorce (ii) you have been married 12+ months (iii) you live in England or Wales (iv) meet one of the five facts. Our fixed fee divorce does not include children or financial matters. 

Fixed Fee £300 (+VAT) – if you are responding to the divorce petition.

To obtain a divorce in English law, you must prove the marriage has ‘irretrievably broken down’ – that means the relationship has reached the point that it can no longer be saved. To do this, you can use one of five reasons (facts) in support of your claim. There are specific conditions attached to each of these reasons. We recommend you speak with a family law specialist before taking any action. 

Adultery. Your husband or wife had sexual intercourse with someone else of the opposite sex. It refers to full sexual intercourse between a man and woman when at least one of them is married to someone else. Relations with a member of the same sex, or any other sexual activity, do not amount to adultery under English law. You will need to act quickly. You cannot give adultery as a reason if you lived together as a couple for 6 months after you found out about it. Contact our team to arrange your free 30 minute consultation today.

Unreasonable Behaviour. The most common reason for divorce in England. You must prove that your relationship broke down because your spouse acted in such a way that you cannot reasonably be expect to live with them. You will need to provide 4-5 examples of actions that occurred in the last six months. Unreasonable behaviour covers a broad range of situations, from minor events, to physical or verbal abuse, excessive drug or alcohol use, controlling behaviour, or domestic violence and financial irresponsibility.

Desertion. If your husband or wife has left you, you may be able to cite desertion. In order to use this ground, your spouse must have left (i) without a good reason (ii without your agreement (iii) on purpose to end your relationship (iv) for at least two years in the past two and a half years before filing for a divorce.

Two Years Separation without consent. You can apply for a divorce if you’ve been separated for more than 2 years and both agree to the divorce. Your husband or wife must agree in writing.

Five Years Separation with or without consent. You can apply for a divorce if you’ve been separated for at least 5 years, even if your husband or wife disagrees.

What Our clients say

"I cannot praise Aneka and the team enough. They have kept us informed throughout the entire process (property sale) Aneka was approachable and made us feel no question was a silly one. The team have been incredibly helpful throughout the transaction especially when things started to go wrong days before completion. Overall they are professional, efficient, and approachable. Would highly recommend Aneka for any future dealings."
Jess Morris
"Instructed on a family matter. I was really happy with the service i received from Sarah Khan Bashir. She was really understanding. Thank you for all your help."
Nadeem Hussain
"Brilliant service and my wife is now in the country will defo recommend everyone to use Aneka"
Shoaib Rasul
"I used Shire Solicitors for my family matter. I was very impressed with the professionalism and the integrity with how they handled my matter. They constantly updated me and always made sure I was aware at every stage with any developments. I would use them again without hesitation. Mr Iqbal, my case worker, was brilliant and would I recommend him without any hesitation. He was thorough, understanding and knew exactly what I was going through. Brilliant!!!!"
Jack Malone

The UK government is to introduce a new ‘no-fault’ divorce. The new law, which will apply to marriages and civil Read more.
Parental Responsibility Parental Responsibility is derived from the Children’s Act 1989. It refers to: “all the rights, duties, powers, responsibilities Read more.
It can be difficult to understand what to do next when you’ve reached the decision to divorce. Our step by step Read more.
Your handy guide to changing your name – adults and children. How long does it take for a Change of Name Read more.
Since the referendum, there has been confusion about the rights of EU Nationals in the UK. EU Nationals become an Read more.
A contact order can be obtained from the Family Court when a separated or divorced couple are unable to agree Read more.
The Nikaah is a contract between a husband and wife that they will live their lives in accordance with the Read more.
You can ask a court to make a ‘financial order’ if you cannot reach an agreement. This used to be Read more.